Thursday, July 10, 2008

Daily Interaction will keep your Bird Happy!

Owning a pet bird or birds, whether they be a parrot, dove or canary, require daily interaction from you, the bird owner. Birds are highly intelligent creatures who are very social beings. They give unconditional love and need to receive the same unconditional love back to them.
Alex the gifted parrot proves to us that the idea of a " bird brain" is completely wrong. In fact the study that Dr. Irene Pepperberg did with Alex an African Grey parrot for 30 years of research, shattered scientists understanding of the Avian brain. Alex eventually learned enough speech elements to identify 50 different objects, 7 colors and 5 shapes. He learned to count quantities up to 6 including 0 and was able to articulate certain desires and could even express frustration with repetitive scientific trials. Alex's emotional development was similar to that of a 2 year old human child, , and his intelligence was that of a 5 year old child.
This evidence about Alex tells us that birds definitely need interaction. My experiences with my cockatiels and one parakeet (little parrots) also prove that pet birds need daily interaction and affection. Affection is highly important as well and the interaction. They ask me with their body language to pet them every day. They also like me to stay near them as if in a flock. They may ask to get on my shoulder or lap. I take my birds for a ride in the car about once a week to my Mom's. She loves to see them, and they love going for a ride in the car as well as visiting my Mom, sister and their dog. I don't let them out of the cage when I am there because of too many dangers. I take them in one bird cage which I bundle up in blankets for protection. The thickness I use depends on how warm or cold outside it is. Birds like to feel safe in their cage so the blankets covers all sides except half of the front part to look out of. I completely cover the front in bad weather or too much sun until we get into a more comfortable environment.
Great care must also be taken when feeding your bird. Each species requires different nutritional needs. If you put any bird on an all seed diet, he will get very sick or die from malnutrition. My cockatiels for example are given organic parrot pellets, Dr. Lafeber's Nutriberries for Cockatiels and some oatmeal, flax seed meal and a little millet seed. There is a nice variety of nutritional bird food in their dish which they can forage through. Foraging helps stop the boredom of your pet bird's meals. Even fresh fruits and vegetables are highly recommended and necessary for your bird's diet. I give my birds a little piece of berry from my frozen berry medley every day and some soybeans that were previously frozen and heated. But when I can get fresh vegetables and fruit, I give them apple, cooked broccoli, chopped carrot, sweet potato, white potato and corn. First thing in the morning, I give them a couple of Trader Joes O's which are almost like Cherrios. I will also give them little pieces of Spelt bread which has whole grain goodness.
My 2 cockatiels require attention from morning till evening, and I do enjoy spending the time with them. They love to be petted and have their little heads scratched. They love being talked to and like to spend play time on the floor with bird toys, ladders and special wood for birds to chew on. Their cages require daily cleaning as well as the bird dishes. Birds are messy. Water will be splashed around with seed husks, loose feathers and droppings that require daily clean up. When I go out, I put them in their cages, one in each cage if the younger bird is pushing the older bird around too much. Some times they like to decide which cage they want to stay in. I also turn on the radio with soft music or cartoons on TV. They enjoy very young childrens cartoons.
Birds may create allot of work, but the rewards of unconditional love and companionship from your feathered friends are priceless.
Parrot Health, Training
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Barbara_Delgiudice

No comments:

find dogs at NextDayPets.com...
Dog Breeds:
Type:
Puppies Pet Supplies Dog Supplies Dog Cars
Custom Search
Make your own free clipart like this @ www.TXT2PIC.com with free web based tools (hundreds of image generators that run through a web broswer, no software to buy or install).
Made with free image tools @ TXT2PIC.com